Thursday 17 March 2011

John Kenn Mortensen


Just a quick mention of artist John Kenn Mortensen who I read about in the metro the other day. He ditched the canvase and instead draws on the post-it note. While most of us would use them to jot down a reminder, John Kenn Mortensen turns the tiny slips of paper into intricate pen drawings of spooks and spectres. 



What I like about his work is the idea of art having a shelf life, usually post it notes are thrown away once read but also travel around the office on different pages and books..transfering through numerous hands. Its kind of a short but everlasting piece of work with its life span indeterminable. Post-it notes are used to remind people of the boring humdrum things to do in everyday life but here they are a haunting reminder of his childhood nightmares, which is quite twisted in a way. 






Mr Mortensen, who writes and directs television shows, said: ‘I am a professionally trained character animator and drawing is something I have been doing all my life. 
‘I have to draw and I have to tell stories, and by using the sticky notes I can get it all down on paper quickly. It means I don’t bore myself to death.’







No comments:

Post a Comment